Recipes from famous chefs
Fancy a slightly more daring fish supper? Give your friday night fish and chips an Asian twist with tempura-battered cod and a spicy wasabi tartare sauce
PREP: 20 MINSCOOK: 35 MINS SERVES: 2
100g white miso paste
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp golden caster sugar
2-3 cod fillets (about 350g/12oz), bones and skin removed
100g rainbow radishes, very thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
1 tbsp black sesame seeds
2 large sweet potatoes, skin on, cut into chunky chips
oil, for deep-frying
½ lime, cut into wedges, to serve
For the tempura batter
140g plain flour, plus 100g/4oz extra for coating
200ml soda water
For the wasabi tartare sauce
1 tsp wasabi
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
¼ small pack coriander, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the miso paste with 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar and 1 tsp sugar. Put the cod fillets in the marinade and turn over so they are evenly coated. Cover with cling film and chill for 1 hr.
- Put the radishes in a small bowl with the black sesame seeds, the remaining vinegar and sugar, and a pinch of salt. Leave to pickle for at least 30 mins.
- For the wasabi tartare sauce, combine all the ingredients and season well. Set aside or chill in the fridge until needed.
- Meanwhile, put the sweet potato chips in a large saucepan filled with cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 7-8 mins until slightly tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry for 2 mins.
- Fill a large saucepan with the oil until two-thirds full. Place over a medium-high heat until the oil reaches 180C on a temperature probe (or until a piece of bread crisps up in 20 secs). Meanwhile, make the tempura batter by combining the flours and gradually whisking in the soda water. Whisk until the batter is lump-free, then chill until needed.
- Once the oil has come to temperature, fry the sweet potato chips in batches until golden and cooked through, about 5 mins. Transfer to a baking sheet, season with salt and place in a low oven to keep warm while you fry the fish.
- Tip some seasoned flour onto a plate and dip the cod fillets in it, patting off any excess. Dip into the batter and fry in the same oil as the chips for 3-4 mins, until the batter is golden and the fish is cooked. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve the cod with the chips, wasabi tartare, pickled radishes and lime for squeezing over.